Warm up with this hearty, protein-packed vegan lentil stew, featuring an abundance of nutritious vegetables and aromatic spices.
- 1 cup green or brown lentils, rinsed and drained
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 carrots, diced
- 2 celery stalks, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 15-ounce can of diced tomatoes
- 2 bay leaves
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Fresh parsley, for garnish
- Heat olive oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add onion, garlic, carrots, celery, and red bell pepper. Cook until vegetables are softened, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in cumin, smoked paprika, and turmeric, cooking for another minute until fragrant.
- Add lentils, vegetable broth, diced tomatoes, bay leaves, salt, and pepper. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 25-30 minutes, or until lentils are tender.
- Remove bay leaves and adjust seasoning as needed. Serve hot, garnished with fresh parsley.
- Raw Zucchini Noodles with Creamy Avocado Pesto